Key Facts & Dates
Updated as at 7 May 2015
- Invented acclaimed racing surface, Polytrack, in 1984. First surface to pass strict technical tests set by the British Horseracing Authority, the only racing jurisdiction with an obligatory technical spec at that time.
- Offices established in UK, Europe, North America, Asia; with full subsidiaries and joint-venture companies in South Africa, the US, China, Japan and France.
- First manufacturing plant opened at Membury, Berks, in 1996. Nowadays, seven manufacturing and five mobile mixing-plants worldwide.
- 22 racecourses worldwide have had Polytrack installed – more than all competitor-product racecourse surface installations combined. Five of the six all-weather racecourse surfaces in the UK and Ireland were installed with Polytrack when they opened for AW racing, the latest being Chelmsford City, then known as Great Leighs.
- Supplied over 150 miles of racehorse training gallops in the UK, including over 12 miles at Newmarket, the “headquarters” of British racing.
- First Newmarket Polytrack gallop installed Warren Hill 1995; first Polytrack racecourse installed at Lingfield Park, November 2001, renewed in 2012 after 11 intensive winter seasons; 13,000 tonnes of “old” Lingfield surface completely sold out on secondhand market within three weeks.
- Martin Collins UK company was awarded a Royal Warrant of Appointment to Her Majesty the Queen in 2009.
- Over 2,500 equine arena installations have been carried out in the UK and Europe. Ecotrack and CLOPF® have been variously chosen for 2003 European Dressage Championships (Hickstead, UK), 2009 European Dressage and Show Jumping Championships (Windsor UK), London International Horse Show, 2010 Youth Olympics (Singapore), 2011 World Cup finals in Dressage, Jumping and Driving (Leipzig, Germany) and Global Champions Tour London launch, Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, June 2013
- World’s single largest permanent Ecotrack arena (2.6 acres) installed at Dallas Burston Polo Club, Warwickshire, in 2012.
- UK clients include Olympic medallists Zara Phillips, Ben Maher, Laura Bechtolsheimer; champion National Hunt racehorse trainer Paul Nicholls; Jockey Club Estates and Jockey Club Racecourses, Arena Racing Company, Royal Windsor Horse Show, Guards Polo Club.
- First R&D-specific Ecotrack installation opened July 2012 at the Royal Agricultural University.
- Polytrack is bespoke blended to operate across a range of temperatures (lowest: – 35 deg C, highest: + 52 deg C) and worked using specialist equipment to provide a variety of going.
- Polytrack has consistently “saved” the UK winter racing programme in prolonged frost, snow conditions and heavy rainfall for the past 12 years and recently did the same for Fairview Racecourse in South Africa after torrential rainfall threatened their principle meeting.
Contact Us Now to find out more about the Martin Collins range of equestrian surfaces.